5.19.2011

Stir Fry

Huzzah! Last weeks Foodie Friday post that disappeared reappeared today! Yessss! To celebrate, I'm posting it a day early. :)

If you saw my post last Wednesday, I mentioned that I was going to make stir fry with some delicious looking veggies I got from the farmer's market down the street. (Yeah, like a half mile away. Be jealous.) This stir fry was so fantastic that there were NO leftovers. I even used each of the veggies in my "trifecta of nasty veggies" (which are: onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms) and even I devoured it. A real winner!

Chicken stir fry
  • 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 4-5 cups cut up vegetables (I used onions, peppers, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, and zucchini)
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 10 oz. rice sticks (thin rice noodles)
  • Stir fry sauce (scroll down to see recipe)
Directions
  1. Get some water boiling for the rice sticks.
  2. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
  3. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes or so. It does not have to be cooked through at this point, it will have time to keep cooking.
  4. Turn off the heat to the boiling water (not the skillet!) and add the rice sticks. Let them soak for 5-7 minutes while you keep cooking. 
  5. Add veggies to the skillet with the chicken. I added the "harder" veggies; the onions, peppers, and carrots first since they take longer to cook, then I added the softer ones, the zucchini, broccoli, and mushrooms. 
  6. Fry everything together until the chicken is cooked through and veggies are crisp tender.
  7. Drain the noodles and rinse with cold water. Add them to the pan.
  8. Fry everything for a minute or two to let everything set up and come together, then add stir fry sauce.
  9. Allow sauce to come to boil, and boil for a minute or so to let it thicken. 
  10. Stir some more to mix and serve!
Stir fry sauce (originally found here)
  • 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp. cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 pinch ground ginger (or a bit of fresh minced ginger)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce or 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar or 1/8 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3/4 cup vegetable broth or 3/4 cup beef broth or 3/4 cup chicken broth (I use chicken broth if my stir fry will have chicken, etc.)
Whisk to combine and add to the stir fry when needed. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

 Aside from chopping it honestly took me longer to write this post than it did to pull this dinner together. If you do some prepping chop work you can whip this up in no time at all!

2 comments:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow! This looks so good. If I had all those ingredients right now, this would be my dinner. Thanks for sharing...I can just about smell it.

Kitty said...

Nom! This looks yummy, I usually dump stir fry over rice but I always have some of those rice sticks hanging around. Will have to try that

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...