5.10.2011

Tutorial Tuesday- Braided bracelets

I know, I know! I said I'd have a sewing tutorial today. But, when I tell you why you'll forgive me. At least that's my plan. If you don't forgive me don't tell me.

Ever heard of Craft Hope? They are a wonderful group that collects handmade items for different charities, organization, and other areas where hope is needed. And everything is handmade by crafty people like us. The current project is collection handmade bracelets for orphans is Russia. Did you know there are over 143 million orphans in the world? And so many of them are homeless and hungry. Wouldn't it be such a wonderful gift for a young orphan girl, scared and feeling alone, to recieve a beauitful bracelet handmade by you? Click here to read more.

I originally saw this post from Jess over at Craftiness is Not Optional and I knew I had to participate. She and her crafting buddies used V and Co.'s tutorial for a finger weave bracelet. I liked the look, but I really don't have that much knit lying around. So I improvised and came up with...

The braided bracelet! I think it still has the same charm, and just as easy! And my goodness, oh so customizable. I'll show you a few others I did at the end of the post. To make one, you will need:

  • Ribbon/yarn/strips of t shirt/anything that can be braided
  • Scissors
  • Safety pin
  • Pliers
  • Ribbon ends, two per bracelet (can be found in the jewelry findings sections of any craft store)
  • Jewelry closure (not pictured)

Cut a length of ribbon. Since I'm making these for Craft Hope, I'm varying the lengths between 6 and 8 inches. If making it for yourself, measure around your wrist and add an inch.

For this particular bracelet, I tried out cutting three strips from really wide ribbon to add a nice fraying effect to the bracelet. If you aren't cutting one piece in three, cut out two more pieces so you end up with three strips of ribbon.

 The metal thingys are ribbon ends. They have an opening at the bottom where you stick the ribbon and there are little metal teeth to clamp down on the ribbon and keep it in place. So stick your ribbon in....

And smash it down with the pliers. Make sure it is very tightly clamped otherwise the ribbon will fall out.

See? You did it!

Use that safety pin to pin your bracelet to the couch, the carpet, or wherever it works so that it will stay securely in place when you braid. Then start braiding! Braid as tightly or as loosely as you want.

Stick another ribbon end on the other end of your braids. This may require a little trimming and a little folding, but don't worry, it will work! Clamp down the ribbon end again, nice and tightly.

Just add some kind of closure (lobster clasp, hook and eye, whatever you have on hand) and your bracelet will be finished! Now the fun part: customizing. :)

Jess glued buttons to her finger weave bracelets and I loved that idea! I used some cute, vintage button from my grandmother.

I also tried braiding in some pony beads (this was with very thin satin ribbon.)

And I tried it with yarn too!

And of course, there is still the favorite elastic with beads bracelets. I'm also going to try braided friendship bracelets and gimp bracelets too. I plan to make at least 50 by the end of the week and get them shipped off this weekend. Then I can get back to sewing. :)

So what do you think? Will you create with me? The deadline isn't until June 15th, so there is still plenty of time to get your bracelets in! Click here for more information.

UPDATE: Here are a few more I've made! I'm getting really close to my goal of 50!

Apparantly I'm in a bluish type mood. When I hit 50 I'll take a picture of the whole big pile to post! Stay tuned. :)

6 comments:

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

Great tutorial!! I loved these bracelets when you make them with white rope too. Stopping by from Paisley Passions and your newest follower.

I just finished a Burda jacket pattern and will be posting my newest creation tomorrow. Come by and see when you have a moment.
http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2011/05/quilted-coat-finished.html

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Amie this is very cool!! I love the ones you've done so far and I can't wait to see what they all look like when you finish 50! What a cool gift of your time!

Jessica said...

This is great, I've been looking for different ways to make the bracelets for CH. I just need to find time to throw the craft party...

Elizabeth said...

These are so cute! What a generous gift!

Nikki ~ Let's Craft!! said...

Love your passion!! Would love for you to stop by to visit me... http://bestpartofbelieveis.blogspot.com/ I am your newest follower!! Hope you follow back!!

~ Nikki

Rajni said...

Hi,

This jewellery is so beautiful! Looking gorgeous and stylish. These are the most demand full ornaments in today market. Thanks...

Bracelets

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...