10.06.2010

What I like Wednesdays- Waterford, VA

I'm attempting to give my blog a little more "structure." I'm going to try and have different kinds of posts on different days (not every day!) to try and keep myself motivated and keep all of you amazing readers knowing what's coming next. I'll do my best, but I have serious crafting ADD and I have trouble with doing the same thing. But we'll see.

This one I call "What I like Wednesdays." I'll be posting about things that I am loving from the previous week. This could be something that inspires me, something I'm newly obsessed with, a great story, whatever tickles my fancy. :) This week I want to share my weekend trip to a fair I went to this weekend in Virginia! I went with my mother in law this weekend and I was so inspired by all of the incredible talent I saw there. We were there for hours walking around looking at old, historic houses and moping about how untalented we are compared to ridiculously talented people. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll let the pictures do the talking. :)

I didn't know that people still actually spun yarn, but apparently they do!

This is an angora rabbit, isn't is huge? If you've ever worn an angora sweater, this is likely where it came from. We got to touch some of the fur and it was SOO soft! I'm attempting to learn knitting, and now I want to pick it up even more!


This one woman created beautiful pieces with real pressed flowers. And all this time I thought pressed flowers were corny! I really want to try something like this. Maybe with leaves for fall decor?

There were some amazing quilts, this one was my favorite. I almost entered to win it, but I didn't want to blow the little money I had on entering. Maybe I will finally work on checking "quilting" off my list of "things I still want to try to learn to do" list.




Some of my very favorite exhibits were of wood crafts. Carvings, whittling, all of it, I loved it! Here are some more examples. Wood is my MIL's area of expertise too, maybe wood crafting is where it's at!




Oh my goodness gracious, don't even get me started on some of the amazing things that people can do with PAPER.






I can't even believe half this stuff was made out of paper. Can you get over how gorgeous those lamp shades are?? I really want to try out some of that silhouette craziness.

And a quick fun fact, did you know that I used to teach pottery classes? I LOVED it, I took classes, I taught classes, there is just something about working with the earth that is so exhilarating. I wish I would have continued so I could create some of these...






There were glass crafts...


"Natural" crafts...


I'm TOTALLY doing something like this in the near future!


 Don't you just love the kitty cat pendant?? Not for $300...but I  still loved it. :)
Look for these rocks sometime in the near future. :)


Cinnamon scented beeswax! That was my souvenir. :)

There were a lot of "olden" crafts that were so interesting to watch.





(Yeah, you read that right. $2,000 for a basket. And you have to be on the waiting list for a year to get one. But I think an elephant could stand on one and nothing would happen to it. Maybe when I'm old and rich I'll buy one!)



 I LOVED the old clothing. Authentic replicates of 18th century clothing? I almost lost my mind and wrote a check for that gold one, but I wanted to still be married to David so I resisted. :)

And of course, no post would be complete without a picture of the things I ate! :)


Mmmm. :) Best caramel apple I've ever eaten. And seriously, how clever is it that they cut it up in pieces and then doused it in warm caramel?? Then there are no messy bites and you get sweet caramel all throughout. Love, love, LOVE!!

Oh. I also saw my best friend, Jennie. It was great. :)

I'm going to another fair this weekend with my mom with twice as many vendors so there might be a similar post next Wednesday! And I'm sorry about the lack of craft posts, I have A LOT of things I'm working on but I am too ADD to finish any of them!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...