10.15.2010

Foodie Friday- Clam Chowder

Welcome to another addition of Foodie Friday! I'm really excited for this recipe because it is one of my specialties. My husband is always requesting it and even my Father in law went out of his way to tell me it was the best thing he's ever had and I should make more right away. Seriously though, it's really, really, really, REALLY good. The best clam chowder EVER. I can't even eat that nasty stuff from a can anymore, and I used to love it! You've got to try it, if you're a clam chowder lover you will swoon over this!

And that's not even the best part of this post. Today, you get two recipes in one! Clam chowder and garlic saltines. Mmmmm!

New England Clam Chowder
Ingredients:

  • 2 cans (6 1/2 oz each) clams with juice
  • 1 cup minced celery
  • 1 cup minced onions
  • 2 cups diced potatoes
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 quart half and half (I usually do 2 cups milk and 2 cups half and half)
  • 1 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay



Directions:

  1. Chop all vegetables and put into a large soup pot. 
  2. Drain clam juice over vegetables and add just enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer over medium heat until tender (about 20 mins).
  3. Melt butter in a separate pot and slowly whisk in flour. Cook for 1 minute. 
  4. Slowly whisk in half and half, making sure to get rid of any lumps.  
  5. Add white sauce to the pot of veggies, then add the clams and spices. 
  6. Simmer over low heat (don't boil!) until thick.

 It really is that easy, and SO delicious! Esp with some crispy bacon on top, but we didn't have any. :( The recipe will feed a famished family of six, or a mildly hungry group of 8. See those yummy crackers? Those are next! I forgot to buy bread for the soup so I decided to dress up some cracker to go with it. They were sooo yummy and  were really easy! Adapted from this recipe.

Garlic Saltines  
Ingredients:
  • 1 sleeve saltine crackers
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • Nonstick spray
  • Salt

Directions:
  1. Place foil on a baking sheet and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Arrange crackers in a single layer on baking sheet.
  2. Finely mince the garlic and sprinkle with salt. With the side of the knife, mash the garlic into a paste. The salt will act as an abrasive to help turn the garlic to paste.
  3. Add melted butter and parsley and mix together well. 
  4. Using a pastry brush, brush the garlic butter on top of the crackers.
  5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or so, until light brown. Be careful, they can burn easily. 

Happy cooking! Just make sure you tell your family ahead of time that you will not be making this every week.


2 comments:

Karen @ Barefoot in Portland said...

Hi there! Stopping by from Friendly Friday Follow! I am a new follower! You have a great blog. These crackers looks great....so does the chowder but I am more of a fish chowder gal...and being from Maine...lobster is my favorite!!

Have a great day!

Karen @ http://barefootinportland.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Hey Amie! Stopping by from the hop! I'm now following your blog. I love all these wonderful project and food ideas! I look forward to coming back soon! You can find me at www.ohsosavvymom.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...